Yesterday I was at Thunderbird School of Global Management waiting to speak to a room full of corporate recruiters and I was holding our book: Sink, Float, or Swim. I was flipping through the pages to see where it would land. It always amazes me how well this works in a book, almost always landing you on a page that seems like it was written for this moment - try it sometime. It stopped on page 296 and there were 7 key questions we asked in our final chapter, "Now Is The Time To Act".
- Did you implement the habits to create and maximize your energy?
- Did you focus on the things you could control today?
- Did you do something for yourself today in order to expand your capacity, move towards your potential, and increase your impact?
- Did you do everything that you know how to do to prepare yourself to successfully compete in your must-win events today?
- Did you do something to positively impact your team or your organization?
- Did you bring energy to those you influence?
- Why is your organization better today because you came to work?
Swimmers are able to answer yes. Floaters are able to guess maybe. Sinkers don't make it past the second question. Every recruiter I met was there in search of a swimmer. How are you doing?
By Scott Peltin
Founder & Chief Performance Officer